Saturday, September 22, 2007

Webbing: the quest for quality information

If I'm going to do my personal inquiry project on the local versus organic debate, it's time to start sifting though information.

First I have to figure out what I'm looking for. It seems to me that what I'm going to need are these main items:
  1. What are the benefits of organic food?
  2. What are the benefits of local food?
  3. While it would be ideal to be able to purchase both, on balance which is most important ecologically speaking?
Results of initial web search:

I found these articles which looked like they might provide some good information.

16 Organic Apples and a Gallon of Gas by Christopher Wanjek
Chews Wisely by Samuel Fromartz
Eating Better Than Organic by John Cloud
Health Care Benefits Now Offered At The Supermarket? by Shane Heaton
Local or Organic? I'll Take Both by Wendy Pennybacker
Local food 'greener than organic' by BBC News
My Search For The Perfect Apple by John Cloud

I've decided to take some of the key points from these articles and make a diagram using Inspire to help me determine whether I have any holes in my content. More on that in my next post!


2 comments:

Bookaholic! said...

This is an interesting topic, Michael. One thing I'd be interested in is the cost difference between organic, local, and non-local food. It always seems to me that organic is quite a bit more expensive. That may be changing, but still, I wonder if the cost is worth what you get from it being organic.

Annette

Lucorico said...

Thanks Annette! I'll look into seeing if there is a way that I can work that into an academic standard! (Part of my dislike for these standards is my suspicion that they stifle tangential curiosity)

I wanted to mention a new link that I've added under Project 1 links. The Baker model comparison chart from our readings has been useful to me. It makes comparing the various models really easy. For instance, this document shows that the "Webbing" step corresponds to the "Prefocus exploration" and "Focus formulation" steps in the Kuhlthau – Information Search Process (ISP) model. This model suggests that investigation and organization are key components of this part of the inquiry process.