Friday, September 14, 2007

Wondering: Which to choose?

I think that my choice of topic should be determined at least in part by which topic I am able to form the most interesting and important questions about. I'm tending toward the topic of organic vs. local because I've been a proponent of organic produce for many years, but I have recently been hearing more about the importance of local produce, and in our area it is often not possible to meet both objectives at the same time. So which is most important?

Questions that would need to be addressed include: What are the advantages of organic produce? What are the advantages of buying local produce? (In this investigation we will focus on the advantages for the environment - kind of an "Earth Science" perspective) Are there any drawbacks of either local or organic? Can there be any realistic measure of environmental impact?

More on these later!

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Great topic ideas. I like the idea of organic vs. local. I don't shop farmer's markets and such, but I have noticed a lot more items marked organic at shops like Target and Walmart.