Sunday, October 7, 2007

Wishing: a natural byproduct of wondering

First: a link to my final product.

I think that every information inquiry project that pertains to something that I "wonder" about ends up with additional "wishes" which lead to further inquiry. Here are some of my wishes.
  • I wish that there were real "answers" to the local versus organic question. There are many interesting avenues of thought, and they are of value, but I get the impression that when teaching to standards, lessons need to be a bit more concrete than this one.
  • I wish that I had a bit more free time so that I could develop a final product that included more multi-media. I was able to include some in this blog, but not in my final product.
  • I wish I had been able to find more technical data on my subject. I found many opinion pieces, and some of them included the data from some scientific studies, but I think that my project was missing the punch of hard data.
And to illustrate the circular nature of personal inquiry...
  • I wonder if within a few years, more will be certain in this debate.
  • I wonder if, as fossil fuels become increasingly expensive, more farming might become organic due to the scarcity or expense of pesticides and fertilizers.
  • I wonder if I could live on a "100 mile diet" if I needed to do so.
I'm not certain that I was supposed to leave this assignment with as many questions as I brought to it, but that seems to be the way it has turned out.

The 8Ws served me well, and I appreciate that the model allows for the repeat of some steps if the information found initially leads to new questions and new directions. I found that after Wiggling and Weaving, I needed to revisit my topic formulation (wondering) and then so some more Webbing. Some of the other models seem a bit simplistic, such as the ISP model by Kuhlthau, which seems to go straight from information collection (stage 5) to search closure (stage 6). Adjustment for additional questioning doesn't take place until the final "reflection" stage. I would rather not begin anew once my project is finished!

1 comment:

FCPL said...

Remember, Callison tells us the inquiry process never really ends! I think it's okay to have more questions. You seemed to have learned a lot and did a great job wrapping and reporting your findings.

Congratulations!